Nora adores he binky. Loves it! And so do I. Crying in the car? No problem - just plug it in. Falls down and hits her head? No problem - just plug it in. Feeling overall sad and grumpy? Again - just plug it in and voila! Instant happiness. So when I decided to get rid of that wonderful piece of plastic before our next little one comes I didn't know how hard it would be on Nora - and me! I came up with this brilliant plan to let Nora pick out a baby doll at the store that we would buy for her once she was ready to throw all her binky's away. So every time we go to the store we would go see the baby and look at it and talk about how she could have it when she was ready to throw her binky's away. She's a smart cookie. She totally understood that part of it. On Saturday she was ready. We went to Wal-Mart to get the baby, once we were back in the toy section she changed her mind. So we went back home. On Monday we thought we'd try again. I took her to Meijer (a Michigan version of Super Wal-Mart) and she was excited! I had her remaining 3 binky's in a plastic bag and went right back to the baby and put it in the cart without any hesitation on Nora's part. She kept saying "Fro binky in garbage, cut strings off mine baby!" She really wanted that baby out of the box. I bought the baby and we stopped at a garbage can and she happily tossed in the bag of binky's without a second thought (from her at least..... I felt the beginning stages of sheer panic!) Once home she was quite proud of herself, showing Sophie and Brian and our neighbors her new baby and telling them she threw her binky's away. The rest of the day went well and I was feeling very hopeful. Moments before she was supposed to climb into bed she fell and hit her head and immediately started crying for her binky. I offered her the new baby with a gentle reminder that she threw her binky's away and she threw the baby across the room and yelled, "NO baby! I want mine binky!!" Uh-oh. We tried for an hour to calm her down, reminding ourselves that she'd have to fall asleep eventually. Then I started questioning my motives for taking the binky away. Does it really matter that much if she has it for a while longer? Was I feeling pressure because she is getting older? Do I feel like a bad mom because she still has it? Then I started telling myself that making her not have it was worse than taking it away too early. What if she started sucking her thumb? Or her blankets? Or her clothes? Her pediatrician says it won't do any harm to her teeth until she's 4 (not that I'm shooting for 4) So I gave in. I sent Brian down to the nearest Rite-Aid. And we all went to bed happy. And yes, in case you were wondering, we did take the baby back - until she's more ready. At first I felt like I'd failed - okay, I guess I did - but letting her have it a while longer isn't going to hurt anything - especially since she's gotten so darn good at finding it by herself during the middle of the night! :)
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Binky drama
Nora adores he binky. Loves it! And so do I. Crying in the car? No problem - just plug it in. Falls down and hits her head? No problem - just plug it in. Feeling overall sad and grumpy? Again - just plug it in and voila! Instant happiness. So when I decided to get rid of that wonderful piece of plastic before our next little one comes I didn't know how hard it would be on Nora - and me! I came up with this brilliant plan to let Nora pick out a baby doll at the store that we would buy for her once she was ready to throw all her binky's away. So every time we go to the store we would go see the baby and look at it and talk about how she could have it when she was ready to throw her binky's away. She's a smart cookie. She totally understood that part of it. On Saturday she was ready. We went to Wal-Mart to get the baby, once we were back in the toy section she changed her mind. So we went back home. On Monday we thought we'd try again. I took her to Meijer (a Michigan version of Super Wal-Mart) and she was excited! I had her remaining 3 binky's in a plastic bag and went right back to the baby and put it in the cart without any hesitation on Nora's part. She kept saying "Fro binky in garbage, cut strings off mine baby!" She really wanted that baby out of the box. I bought the baby and we stopped at a garbage can and she happily tossed in the bag of binky's without a second thought (from her at least..... I felt the beginning stages of sheer panic!) Once home she was quite proud of herself, showing Sophie and Brian and our neighbors her new baby and telling them she threw her binky's away. The rest of the day went well and I was feeling very hopeful. Moments before she was supposed to climb into bed she fell and hit her head and immediately started crying for her binky. I offered her the new baby with a gentle reminder that she threw her binky's away and she threw the baby across the room and yelled, "NO baby! I want mine binky!!" Uh-oh. We tried for an hour to calm her down, reminding ourselves that she'd have to fall asleep eventually. Then I started questioning my motives for taking the binky away. Does it really matter that much if she has it for a while longer? Was I feeling pressure because she is getting older? Do I feel like a bad mom because she still has it? Then I started telling myself that making her not have it was worse than taking it away too early. What if she started sucking her thumb? Or her blankets? Or her clothes? Her pediatrician says it won't do any harm to her teeth until she's 4 (not that I'm shooting for 4) So I gave in. I sent Brian down to the nearest Rite-Aid. And we all went to bed happy. And yes, in case you were wondering, we did take the baby back - until she's more ready. At first I felt like I'd failed - okay, I guess I did - but letting her have it a while longer isn't going to hurt anything - especially since she's gotten so darn good at finding it by herself during the middle of the night! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I feel for you Lexie! What a sad little story. I'm extrememly happy that my little Alli sucks her thumb... it's so great that she can calm herself at any moment she wants to. I'm sure I'll be wondering what to do later when we can't get rid of her thumb.
I saw a show the other day and the mom had the kids (kids=6, sextuples. Scarey!) anyway, had the kids give their binkie away to a neighbors baby b/c the baby needed it and they were big kids now. For some lucky reason, it worked for them. :) Good luck, i think it's totally fine to let her have the binkie, she'll probably need it when the baby comes when your hands are so full.
The one thing I have learned in this past year, is that some fights just aren't worth it. I don't blame you for giving in. Plus she looks so cute with it in her mouth! I just want to kiss her cheeks!
Aaron says HA HA! Lexie I feel for you. I remember those days. We have been quite lucky with Chloe. She lost interest of her binkie at 5 months. But there are some days when I wished she would take one. Corey and Maddie both had issues with binkies or as Corey use to call them dindy.
I'm glad you gave in you are one good mommy! I would have bought her two! I love your stories! We sure miss you all! give Nora kisses and plug that binky in one more night!grandpa sure loved talking to Sophie! naunie
LOL I don't look forward to letting go of Addy's Binky! I know we are going to have a tough time. Good Luck.
lexie, I think you should have let her cry all night.
-your brother.
Yeah, brother cuz that's what you would have done.........NOT!!! You're the biggest push over there is! Besides we all need our sleep right? I swear I would be willing to stick a whole stinkin candy bar in my kids mouth -with a hundred dollar bill taped to their forehead just to be able to sleep ONE night with out having to get out of my bed for a whole night!
Post a Comment