Sunday, April 25, 2010

Funny kids and a birthday memory

My kids never cease to make me smile. I usually record their antics on my "mommy blog" but today I feel like posting it on this blog.... so I will. A few days ago at the grocery store we were picking up some sand for the sandbox. I reached down to pick up the bag of sand and the cart started slowly rolling away (we were on a slight incline...) I looked over at Miles and said, "Hey - where are you going?" and he said,"Ummm...... the BEACH!" He loves pretending all his cars and trains are going to the beach lately and is constantly bringing me a car or train and saying, "You be him. Monster coming. Go beach!" I think he's going to love when actually we do go to the beach this summer. He also loves pretending to be a puppy and carrying this star rattle around in his mouth and playing fetch with it. And playing with the babies from the dollhouse. It must be said Miles loves babies and I think {hope} he'll be such a good big brother!
Nora and Sophie were getting in the tub so they both went potty before they got in. Nora went second and I heard her say to Sophie as she got into the tub, "My pee just mixed with yours and it STINKS!" I know that's a gross story - but still funny!

And today is my dad's birthday. He would be 54 today. It's so weird how the older I get the younger I realize he was when he died (42). So here is a picture and a memory of my dad, happy birthday dad/Grandpa Corey!
Posted by Picasa

This is a great picture of my parents :) I think it was when they were chaperoning one of the High School dances at PHS. This mustache was (for me) part of who my dad was when I was younger. He would occasionally shave it off and I remember very clearly when he would because for a second I would think, "Who is that man?" On Saturday mornings my dad would often wake us up, give us a long list of chores and tell us if we had it done by noon we could be done for the rest of the day. My parents loved working in the yard and being outside (which my mom still does), my dad would often be working on the car with the music blasting. Creedence Clearwater, Jim Croce, Bread, America and Cat Stevens always remind me of my dad. Then later we'd head to the grocery store for a "Quarter pop" from the pop machine, when they used to sell Shasta soda's for a quarter. So grateful for good memories.

3 comments:

John and Penny said...

Oh how I love those memories too! Yes the picture is whne we were chaperoning a dance. We loved to go to the dances. I often wondered who was having more fun, us of the students. Daddy would pick me up and swing me all around. We had so much fun! I sure miss those days. Isn't it funny how time is, we were probably not much older that you in this picture! I'm thinking in our thirties. I always loved that huge mostache! It was red and thick. It is so fun for me to hear of the memories you kids have of our younger years. They are great. Thanks for sharing life with me sweetheart. Go get yourself a quarter pop.

Aubreydoll said...

What wonderful memories, and a blessing that you have them!

Erin Jeanne said...

It is amazing to me how time can feel so long and so short at the same time. Some day it feels like my dad has been gone forever but then at the same time it feels like it just happened. The good memories are sooo important and fun to relive! I am thankful now for photographs! Wish I had more of my dad and all of us!
I remember your dad coming to the highschool and teaching us a special class in art, I just thought he was amazing! Happy Birthday to your dad and thanks for sharing the memory and photo!