It is time for an update on my Sophie girl. She has been having a few struggles with school lately and it breaks my heart! She has two "friends" at school that she has been playing with who have shown up in numerous drawings of Sophie's. She always draws them the same: one has short brown hair and one and has flipped brown hair. She has shed several tears over the fact that they are not always the best of friends (telling her she has gross hands, stinky breath, they don't want to be her friend, etc...) And despite my encouragement to play with other kids she is determined to win them over. She told me a few days ago, "I think they are getting used to me." Her teacher has talked to one of the girl's dads and it seemed to get better for a bit. I hate not knowing what's really happening, though. Wouldn't I love to be a fly on the wall in her classroom! I know she is pretty sensitive to anything she perceives as unkind, and since I'm not there to see what is really going on I don't know what else to do besides try to encourage friendships with other children and teach her how to deal with the situation. She brought home this picture the other day:
note: she draws herself wearing a crown in almost every picture she does :)This was when I realized she was really feeling bad about the situation. This is friend #1 on the left, holding hands with Sophie, leaving out friend #2 on the right. She was obviously feeling like friend #2 and wanting to be the one who was not left out. Sad. Every morning for the past two weeks she has not wanted to go to school. She comes up with all kinds of excuses (I don't like Math, it's too cold outside, etc...) It breaks my heart to send her off to school looking sad, luckily she almost always has a good day. She does have other friends and she loves her teacher and most things about school, so it is not all bad. Yesterday I was putting her lunch bag away and found this note in her locker. I have to admit it brought me to tears!
Geez, she sure knows how to tug at a mom's heartstrings! Part of me really wants to let her stay home occasionally - but I know if I do that she's going to want to do it all the time. Next week we have a playdate with one of the girls from her class that is very sweet, so I hope by doing that Sophie will get to know her better and be excited for school again. We also have a parent teacher conference next week so that will be nice to get some more insight on what is going on at school. Anyway, I hope this post doesn't come across as too depressing or negative because Sophie is still happy and having fun and enjoying school for the most part!
10 comments:
Being a parent is so hard, and as you said, it so hard to know 'exactly' what is going on... It makes you want to go spy on them a recess (at least I do!).
Sophie is quite the artist, and so great she is able to express herself so well with her art and notes. She is one little sweetheart...
We have had some of the same problems with Jannika. She says the girls don't want to play with her and I encourage her to ask them if she can play but she says she's too shy. Good thing she also usually has good days in spite of the friend thing.
Sophie is talented to be able to express her feelings with art and words.
We miss you guys. Jan just asked me yesterday when we could come and see you. I wish we could!
How did she get to be 13 already? Tell here Grandpa will come out there and do some whoopin. I love our little family Queen.
Love,
Grandpa Phillips
that breaks my heart that kids are so mean. Good thing Sophie is such an amazing and strong girl! give her a hug for me! Love you Guys
Could I get their names and addresses please? Maybe their phone numbers too! I HATE kids having to grow up and have the paians of real life! Don't you just want to keep them home forever! I guess you made it through some tough times, and I guess she will too! Loves to you all! naunie
Oh no! I do hear you. About two weeks ago the 2nd grader neighbor girl informed me that Colter gets 'beat up' at recess! I saw red! When I talked to Colter he said three boys take turns holding him and punching him! I asked what he did. He said he asked them to stop, but they wouldn't so he just let them punch him! The next day I checked in and he said, "Well, one kid held my head in the snow. It didn't hurt, but I couldn't breathe!" Heart breaking - like poor Sophie and her friends. I talked with the teacher and I haven't got report of it happening more, but he doesn't like school either. Sad. I guess they are starting to feel the pains and persecutions of life!
That is so hard! Especially that note she wrote to you!! It looks like you're handling the situation well! Give her a hug from all of us!
Please tell Sophie that Grandpa John thinks she is cute and smart and talented and she will make all kinds of very good friends so she shouldn't worry about a couple of snotty little girls. Besides Sophie their grandpas probably don't love them even half as much as your grandpas love you! You are the best and I miss you a lot!
Tell my Sopher-doodle I am sending her a can of whoop "butt" to put in her book bag so she can open it up when ever she wants!
I am so sad about this. My boy struggles too. Kids are so cruel. You try to let them problem solve on their own with maybe a bit of advice. Oh it is tough watching your kids go through junk like this.
Post a Comment