Monday, July 14, 2008

Kirtland (and more)

I was able to go to Kirtland, Ohio this weekend for Youth Conference with the Young Women in our ward. I took Miles with me and the girls got to spend the weekend with Brian. It was so neat to see the Kirtland temple, the Isaac Morley farm, the John Johnson farm, the Visitor's center and the rock quarry where they cut sandstone for the temple. It was awesome to learn more about the saints who lived there and the sacrifices they made to build the temple. There was truly an incredible spirit in these places. Did you know when they first built the temple it had a greenish/blue tint to it (because the saints mixed anything/everything in with the plaster) and it had a reddish roof (red paint was the cheapest) and olive green doors? They recently painted the doors the same color. While I was gone the girls had a great time playing with Brian. He took them on a bus ride (I had the car) and managed to have the house AMAZINGLY clean and he even organized many places that had become slightly un-organized (okay more than slightly. way more) I still have so many pictures to post from our month long vacation to visit family but it's been so busy I haven't downloaded them all!
Miles has been a little fussy lately and yesterday I found out why - he got his first tooth! He will be 5 months old on the 16th so this is a little early. But at least I found out why he's been fussy!

Here is the little man in his crib
Nora hiding under her pillow to get her "fix" (aka: binky)

Kirtland temple

Sleeping boy
John Johnson farm (with a 2 carriage garage)

This is the front of the John Johnson farm. The front is beige and the back is red because the beige paint cost more. Also - this is the home where Joseph Smith was pulled out of bed in the middle of the night and tarred and feathered, but still gave the sunday sermon the next day.

This is the rock quarry where they cut sandstone for the temple. The holes are from the pioneers

13 comments:

Emily said...

I seriously love Kirtland. There is so much History that occurred there. Being where the prophet Joseph Smith Stood is an incredible experience. I hope that Youth Conference went well with all the girls, and that your schedule slows down a bit, so you can enjoy summer!

Shae said...

That is so awesome that you were able to go to Kirtland and visit all those wonderful places! Maybe one day, we'll actually get there! :)

Marie Lefler said...

I would love to go to Kirtland, what an awesome experience.

Kyle and Janell said...

It is neat to study Church history and learn from the early saints. Sounds like you are still having a busy, but fun summer!

Alyson said...

Kirtland sounds so neat! We have still not gone!

ashley said...

I love seeing the pictures of all the fun places you and the girls saw. Wow, Miles already has a tooth! We are still waiting on Ainsley's first.

Jen said...

Hey Lexie and Brian,
We run into Brian's parents in Lee's in Logan all the time and they said you were just out here and you had a blog. I can't believe how sweet your little family is. Sounds like you're doing so well!

Take care ~ Jen S.

PS. Brian - Rusty says hi

Laura said...

How do you like having a boy?! He sure is a cutie!

Dawn said...

How fun. I love Kirtland! I was so excited to see your pics of the Johnson farm. We are related to them. Hope you had a great time!

Cathie said...

That is really cool! I am so glad you returned to a clean house - way to go Brian - that is the BEST! Cute Nora getting her "fix"!

emily said...

Looks awesome Sis! Miles is getting so big! I love the picture of Nora hiding in shame! Awesome.

John and Penny said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I bet the young women love you! Ialways loved that calling. We just got back from the trek to Martins Cove, it is so awesome being in such places as these where the saints were and learn of their trials. I will tell you more later! Brian wjat a great husband and daddy you are! Thanks for taking care of my baby girl! Love those kids! Kisses! Naunie

John and Penny said...

Now that we have been to Martin's Cove Kirtland is the last major Church History place I need to go. I have been to Palmyra area and of course your mom and I have been to Nauvoo, Carthage, Liberty, Winter quarters etc. So I can't wait to go to Kirtland. Maybe we could go together. Tell Nora that there is a twelve step program she can go on. Love ya, Grandpa