Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The battle over Letter J....


When I was single I worked at a day care and taught pre-school to the 4 and 5 year olds, luckily I saved a lot of my lesson plans and idea books so the girls and I have been doing "class" 3-4 times a week. Sophie loves it and since I haven't found a pre-school for her (at least one that is cheaper than $135 a month!!) it makes me feel like she is still learning and will be ready for kindergarten. Of course I think Sophie is one smart cookie, and she can write all the letters in the alphabet and will sit and fill page after page with random letters. Except we have one letter that gives us grief - letter J. She insists that the J swoops to the right. She can write it perfectly both ways but is quick to point out that the right way is the wrong way and that her way is the correct way (hope that made sense!) and if you've ever gotten into a discussion with Sophie about her way being the wrong way, well then you know exactly what I am talking about. I CANNOT convince her that the letter J should swoop to the left. I have tried showing her in books, doing worksheets, on signs we see.. everything! But of course she keeps insisting that those J's are wrong and hers is right. Now I know she's only four so I decided to just compromise and tell her she can do it that way because it's a good way to keep practicing and learning. But that answer wasn't good enough for my stubborn girl. She wants me to admit her way is right. And I won't. It may seem silly but I can just see her starting school next year and still doing her J's the wrong way and telling her teacher that her mom told her it was right! So for now I am avoiding the letter J and hoping she will just change her mind eventually... how I love my stubborn Sophie!

6 comments:

John and Penny said...

Way to be Sophie! I think your momma was just about as stubborn! She is one smart child! She will realize one day just how smart her momma is, maybe in about 20 years! they just don't get much cutier than my grandkids!

C Crane said...

Lexie, she is your mini me for sure!

Jill said...

Thank you for the laugh. What a girl.

Unknown said...

Sophie you don't really need to know how to write a J correctly. And personaly sometimes I write Js backwards just like Sophie does just to give my name a little flare :)
Love and miss you all
Jo

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how alike our girls are! But I know that on the letter J Jannika would be pretty stubborn about it swooping to the left. It is funny that Jannika gets S's mixed up and writes them backward! We just need to have them write each other letters so they can see the way the other one writes their letters.

Cort, Amanda, Jack, and Hank said...

Lecka-
Teaching kindergarten this year I can tell you that she is already WAY ahead of most kids that are in kindergarten. Keep working with her- what a smart little girl and spit fire for not just giving in!