Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Freezer Apple Pie Filling



Here is a yummy and easy recipe for apple pie filling that you can store in your freezer!
Ingredients:
20 - 22 cups peeled and chopped apple slices (I used a mix of tart apples)
3 T. lemon juice
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 Cup cornstarch
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
8 cups water

In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into the largest pot you have, I'm not sure how big mine was but it was my biggest one. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly (I didn't actually stir it constantly, but pretty often). Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender (about 6-8 minutes). Cool. Ladle into freezer containers or freezer bags, leaving 1/2 inch space for expansion. Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months. (One batch made about 6 freezer quart bags)

3 comments:

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Yay! Thank you! This would be an awesome addition to my food storage. Mmmmm apple pie!

Emily said...

Yum, Yum! You and Emily are seriously the best homemakers around.
Thanks for sharing the reciepe!

Palmers said...

Mmmmm, great idea. I'm definitely going to try that!