We've been in our home now for about 7 months.... and I love it! But every room I go in I have this mental record of all the things I want to do to that room to make it better, prettier, more functional, etc. {pinterest does not help this} and in the last few weeks it's kind of made it so I've been enjoying our home a bit less because it's not living up to the pictures in my head of what it could be. My newest dream is to put in butcher block counter tops, a white farmhouse sink and paint our cabinets white in the kitchen. A few nights ago after the kids went to bed I ran to the grocery store and on the way home this question popped in to my head, "Even if you had $2,000 to spend on the kitchen, would you choose that over taking the kids on an awesome vacation?" And I didn't even hesitate in answering myself, "No! Of course not. I'd pick an amazing family vacation over an updated kitchen any day!" It was a great moment for me because I realized that although I'll never stop dreaming of all the things I want to do to the house, it isn't as important to me as I was beginning to think it was! And the reality is we are a big family living on one moderate income, paying off our student loans and doing our best to save money where we can. We've chosen this life. To live on a tight budget so I can stay home with our kids. And even though I have dreams of beautiful rugs and farmhouse sinks and big kitchen tables and new carpets and new couches - all of it would mean nothing to me without these four:
because they are what make this my dream home.
6 comments:
4 and counting! ;) Thanks Lexie. I needed that.
I looooove that you posted this. I get trapped in that same dirty trap... almost any time I go to a hardware store or look at pinterest.
It's a choice - isn't it? And it's not ever easy. Except for those moments when you realize (over and over again) just how lovely and wonderful your family actually is. And then at those times our moderate house and tight budget seem okay.
Thanks for posting this. :)
So wise. Even counters wear out but memories of vacations never do.
Post a piano solo soon!
Ah, this makes me cry! That's a good attitude to have- how lucky we get to live in our dream homes right now!
Well said! And a "finished" house would be sooo dull! Dreaming is always more fun than projects anyways.
Do you remember that I never wanted to live in our little white house on 152 E. 3rd S. forever? Well, even I can't believe how I have missed it, because that is where almost all my most precious memories were made! You are so wise, at such a young age! It took me a long time to realize that! Thanks! I love it when my children are so much better than I ever dreamed of being! I love you, and your sweet littLe family and your loving home!
Post a Comment