Tuesday, January 8, 2013

5 is a great number.

On Christmas Eve after the kids opened their pajamas we had one more present for Wesley.... a new shirt! He wasn't all that thrilled about getting a shirt, but it was what it said on the shirt that was fun: 
It took the kids about 10 seconds to figure out that Wesley's shirt meant this:
They have a sibling on the way! Sophie and Nora were super excited, Sophie has been asking us for months if we are ever going to have another baby! The girls are both hoping for a sister and the boys are hoping for a brother. We are thinking this little one will be the caboose of our family so we will be finding out what he/she is! Also, this baby will actually have a room to call their own so I am going to need to do some re-decorating in our office! Fun! On December 29th, the day we got home from the condo with my mom and John I started having some very heavy bleeding. I instantly knew I was miscarrying because I've had a few miscarriages over the years and have never experienced any bleeding with my other 4 pregnancies. I called the doctor but since it was a weekend I would have had to go to the emergency room and didn't want to wait in there forever and pay a $75 co-pay just for them to tell me what I figured I already knew was happening. So we e-mailed our families and told the kids we weren't having a baby after all. The next day, Sunday, the bleeding had really slowed down so I went to church and felt fine all day. Monday morning I had stopped bleeding so I called the doctor and got an appointment with a family doc at our clinic. Brian and I went down and she did an exam and was going to send me to the lab to do some blood work and I asked her to check for a heartbeat because I had heard one at the doctor just a few days before. I didn't think she would find one at all, I just wanted to be sure. But she found it! We were pretty surprised and a teeny bit hopeful, but still not thinking that all would be well. She sent us to the hospital for an ultrasound and told us we may be sent home or we may be sent to the operating room. Scary! So Brian and I went to the hospital. This was New Years Eve and our experience at the hospital wasn't super, but since they were short staffed and it was a Holiday we figured that at least everyone was very nice so hopefully on a regular day things work a bit more smoothly there! Once we got to the right place for the ultrasound I laid down and when she started it we immediately could see the baby moving and it's tiny heart beating! Since the ultrasound tech can't tell you anything (lame!) we left the room trying not to feel too hopeful, because I truly thought they would tell us that there was more bleeding or a tear or something and I would need to plan on having a miscarriage, but it would take a while. After waiting a while the ultrasound tech came and told us we could go home (great news!) and our doctor would give us a call. She called not too long after we arrived home and said that everything looked fine and she could see no reason why I would have been bleeding so heavily! I was really shocked, but very excited of course. I've still been a bit cautious thinking there is still a chance something could be wrong, but I had another ultrasound yesterday and I've still been feeling sick and completely pregnant. :) So we got to e-mail our families and tell our kids once again that we indeed are going to have a summer baby. What an emotional roller coaster that was! But I am feeling so grateful all is well. Besides the sadness of a miscarriage, I was not looking forward to going through the 1st trimester all over again! We can't wait for baby #5 to join our family... and maybe make us complete?

6 comments:

Christine said...

Oh my heavens! That's quite an experience! I'm so glad everything turned out okay - and I hope it stays that way!

Jill said...

That is like a zipline ride on top of a rollercoaster. Good grief! Congratulations though! I'm so happy for you all.

the Flammers said...

Congrats on the baby. I'm sorry to hear about the complications, but hopefully everything will go smoothly from here on out. Good luck!

Ann said...

Congrats you guys! Glad things turned out well! Can't wait to see what you'll be having!

Dallin said...

I am very excited for this one. He/she is sort of a gift.

nauniesunflower@yahoo.com said...

Yes definitely a gift! One we will all gladly
accept! So happy!!!!