Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A tale of three bikes...

I've been meaning to write a post about this but it keeps not happening.... but it must be recorded so here it is.

Brian usually rides his bike to school - except in really bad weather. When we moved here he brought his bike with him that he had gotten when he was about 15. It was the Blue Giant Iguana. Apparently a pretty nice bike at one time - and still a good bike for how old it was. Almost two years ago it was stolen up at the MSU campus. And no, it was not locked up. Although Brian took some time to make it look like it was... I still have to tease him about that. We reported it to the police (he had registered it - so that was good) But chances were quite slim we'd get it back. There are over 20,000 on-campus students - and most of them ride bikes. So I bought him a 50.00 bike at a yard sale, but it ended up being kind of crappy. Oops! So we bought him another bike on Craigslist - a Trek - that has been a great bike and we let our neighbors use the crappy one (yeah, we're nice like that). So last spring we were driving around campus looking for the MSU surplus store where they sell cheap office chairs and the like. We got to the place it was before, and it had been moved. As Brian went to turn the car around to go back out the driveway I saw that we could get out by going around the building so I suggested we do so. So we drove around the building - which ended up going right by the Amtrak station. Next to the Amtrak station was a small bike rack with about 15 bikes chained up. When we saw it I immediately said, "Maybe your bike is there!" Which is kind of funny because Brian spent a lot of time looking at bike racks on campus searching for his bike - there are not too many blue iguana's around anymore. Anyway - his bike really was there! It was chained together with about 6 other bikes and looked like this:
Missing the front tire, the seat and a few other things... and one of the shifters was in need of major repair.

We called the police and they were able to verify it was Brian's bike since he had registered it. They cut off the chains and we brought it home. We were excited to at least have the frame back. Brian has still been riding the Trek bike... until it got stolen last month! This time it was locked. Grrr... We (again) went to the police up at MSU and reported it. But if we're going to get it back we'll probably have to do it ourselves. Maybe we'll get lucky again? But our neighbors were kind enough to give us the crappy bike back. And considering it has one wooden pedal and no pedal on the other side - we figure if it gets stolen than they definitely need it more than we do!

7 comments:

ashley said...

I remember the day poor Brian's first got stolen...Romney ran into him just after and we gave him a ride home. That is soo sad that he has had two bikes stolen!

Kristen said...

I guess it really is a problem at MSU. Should we get Brian a U-Lock for Christmas?

John and Penny said...

That is just too funny! Sorry Brian, but you have to admit chances of really finding your bike is crazy. Sorry about the bad luck though. I'm sure you will have the crappy one for a long time. Love ya, momma

Marie Lefler said...

Poor Brian. Hey Lexie, make sure to get a small video clip of Brian riding the "crappy" bike...I would like to see that. :)

Aubreydoll said...

Oh man, it's not funny, but I had to laugh at the mental image of someone riding a bike with only one wooden pedal! So sad! But you're right, if someone stole that, they obviously need a bike!!

(I am sorry about the bad bike luck, but you tell such a funny story that I can't help but laugh...)

Andy & Ashlee said...

What are the odds that you would find his bike...and in such good shape too ;) That's crazy!

I agree though I would really like to see a video of someone riding the wooden pedal bike, you've got to document that for posterity's sake anyway. Good luck with the whole bike situation this go around!

Brady and Rachel said...

That reminds me of Brady's bike. Got it stolen at our first apartment in SLC one night. It was chained wrong so they left the seat and took the bike. Ha. About two weeks later he hopped off the bus and it was leaning up against the side of a house out front of our apartment building. He was SO EXCITED ( it was his Bro Jake's bike from his mission - his younger brother who passed away). He asked the owner's of the house where they found it and they said they found it lying out on their yard a few weeks ago one morning. He was so relieved though the tires had been slashed. So we fixed it, and he made sure to lock it up better (locked the frame). A couple months later, we found the tires and seat taken, and the frame left. GRRR! He pulled the frame inside the house and was glad to at least have the main part of the bike, but still oh sooo bummed. It stayed in storage at Alpine Storage, and then when we moved here, he spent money to fix it up (got new wheels, seat, etc and a good lock. Locked it up right, right outside our back porch. I used to check on it every night when I woke up in the night, and it was ALWAYS there. So glad. Well, about 6 months later, a month before we were to move to our new house, it was stolen (someone completely cut the lock and chain. We reported it, but figured there aren't many chances we'll get lucky yet again. At the same time Brady is a little relieved to not have to stress about losing it again, now that it is gone. Hope you guys get lucky again! It frustrates me so much that people steal them, and then pawn them off, etc. I hope whoever took it last time really needed it more than we did.