Nora has been filled with enough attitude lately to bring a small country to their knees. Begging for mercy. Just imagine what this is doing to her mother. Nora has generally been a pretty easy going child. But when something is amiss in her world you better watch out. She has thrown out all the stops lately - hitting, flipping her head, crossing her arms, making rude sounds, yelling, etc. etc... you get the picture. I end up dragging her to time - out, which she then refuses to sit and then I end up dragging her to her room - with her grabbing on to anything her little hands can hold onto to try to stop me. It takes 100% of my willpower not to spank her little bum during these battles. Of course she is so upset by this time - and so am I - that I have to just leave her in her room and go clean something to calm myself down. Yes, I know I shouldn't be dragging her to time-out or her bedroom. I know I should stay calm - even when she's not. I am the parent after all. Guess it's time to check some more parenting books out from the library. Any suggestions on some good ones?
9 comments:
Ugh. I feel you on this. matt has been working double shifts and Ben has been pushing the limits. He waits until I am feeding Clara and then does his worst. We went from punishment to instant reward. Seems to be working, if I ask him to do something, or stop somehting, and he does it with out a fight then he gets to put a sticker on a paper I have hanging on the fridge. He LOVES stickers. the worst moment was a few weeks ago, he hit me in the stomach 3 weeks after my C-section. I lost it and spanked is bottom once and put him in his room. he was crying and I went into our bathroom and cried. I felt horrible!! 2 year olds are tricky! at least mine is. Good luck! Hang in there!
One that's been good for me to read. 'Raising your Spirited child.
Yep. Bet you don't know which child I read that one for?
It was good for me to read.
Yeah, taking pictures (or videos) of kids when they're upset is usually not a good thing! (Even if it does make the parents laugh...sometimes...)
Are you sure it is my little sweet Nora you are talking about? I think someone took over her body, maybe an alien or something.
I guess she is tryingto find her "spot" in the family. Reading would be good, i'm sure there are plenty of books out there! Don't give up. You really are doing a good job. Kids are tough! Good thing you love them so much, they do grow out of it. Don't they??? momma
I feel your pain. We've been trying something new with Riley and it seems to be working fairly well. He is a strong willed boy and it seems like getting in trouble (aka time outs) only make it worse. So we've kind of switched how we do time outs. Now instead of it being a punishment, when we put him in time out we tell him that it looks like he needs to calm himself down and he can stay in his room until he's ready to be nice again. I know it doesn't sound like much but in his mind it's switched who is in control. I'll check on him every couple of minutes and ask if he's ready to come out. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes and sometimes it takes twenty but he's the one who decides now. It's nice because he's learning how to regulate his own feelings while removing him from whatever situation was the problem and I'm much less of a bad guy.
I will make you a paddle with scary faces drawn on it if you would like.
My two older kids each occasionally take on this persona. Let me know what you find out.
Enjoy it...
dad and mom phillips
I take pictures of my kids throwing fits sometimes so when they are grown they will know that they too will survive parenthood (hopefully we all survive to see the day). My kids all have days like that. Even my baby goes berserk. How do I make kids this way? I too would love solutions. One book I love is Mothers Almanac by Baadsgaard it is fabulous. I refer to it often. Also, my parents love The Power of Positive Parenting by Dr. Glenn L. Latham and any other of his stuff (Christlike Parenting, Angel out of Tune, etc.) Let me know if you come across any you love. And good luck. Call me during one of those so I can hear that I am not the only one dealing with that who knows how many time a day. She is adorable.
Post a Comment