Friday, May 2, 2008

A glimpse into fatherhood......

I thought this was too funny not to post:
A few days ago Brian was getting the girls breakfast while I was in the shower. When I came out of the bathroom he held a bowl of oatmeal up to me and asked, "Does this smell okay?" Now I hate smelling nasty things so I was hesitant to smell it, but I did anyway and I told him it smelled fine to me. So he took it over to the table and gave it to Nora and then I started wondering why I would need to smell a bowl of oatmeal to make sure it was okay to let Nora eat it. So I asked him why he had me smell it and he said, "Well, the dishwasher is hooked up to the sink so I just used some of the water coming out of it to mix up the oatmeal." Now FYI we have a portable dishwasher that hooks up to the sink so the water goes through the faucet and into the dishwasher through one tube and the nasty, dirty, detergent filled water comes back out of another tube and into the sink. And that is the water that was put into Nora's bowl of oatmeal. My husband is not an idiot. He is just a man. And men do things the fastest and easiest way. Could he have opened the fridge and used some water from our container in there? Yes. Could he have walked 5 steps to the bathroom and used some of the water from the sink in there? Of course. But the easiest and fastest way was to use the water coming out of the dishwasher. So that's what he did! We both had a good laugh over it (after getting Nora a new bowl of oatmeal) - and I'm still laughing! But that's just one of the things I love most about my husband - he is always making me laugh - and it's usually intentional!


These kiddos sure love their daddy!

9 comments:

Cathrine said...

haha oh that's so funny. My brother sure is special and that's why i love him!

Johnson said...

That is a pretty funny story!! And you're right about men, doing things the fastest and easiest way!!
Love ya
Hannah

Jensie Simkins said...

that is hysterical. and familiar....

Emily said...

We're lucky women to be married to Phillips Men...
:)

Scott B. said...

I object to such a characterization of fathers!

Brady and Rachel said...

That is too funny. I guess I should cut Brady some more slack, he is just being a guy most times. You are really good to be understanding of that, sometimes I look and talk to Brady like he is doing something really really stupid and wonder where he came up with the idea, but I need to try to keep in mind the fact that men just do what is fastest and easiest. It would save us a lot of stupid arguments that I end up regretting later. Thanks for being another great role model Lexie.

John and Penny said...

Brian you should never feed a child something you would'nt eat yourself! Too funny! you are a great daddy and husband though I have to admit! Love ya naunie

emily said...

I beg to differ on the never feed it to your child unless you want to eat it thing.....they are kids!! They eat almost anything and if they don't like it THEN you know it must be bad! What a great story! Sounds like Paul!

John and Penny said...

Men doing things the fastest and easiest way is why men do most of the inventing! They use to have milk maids. They were happy to hand milk the cows for centuries. Then for some reason men started milking cows. thus the milking machine. Just one of many examples of the ingenuity of men. So the next time your hubby does something stupid for the sake of speed just remember you are riding in a car and wearing comfortable stylish shoes. John