Thursday, September 20, 2007

A day with Grandpa John







Last week John (my step-dad) flew in to Chicago for business and since he was only a 4 hour drive away from us we decided to meet him at his hotel and spend a few hours together before he flew back home. We met him around 12:15 and headed downtown Chicago for some original Chicago style pizza. Did you know they put the sauce on the TOP of the pizza in Chicago?? It was a new and delicious experience (although I am easy to please when it comes to pizza!) Next we headed to the Lincoln Park Zoo which is right in the middle of downtown and is absolutely FREE! And it's nothing like the Willow Park Zoo in Logan, which for those of you who don't know Willow Park it consists mainly of birds and, well.... more birds. No, Lincoln Park Zoo had it all - lions, giraffes, penguins, elephants, zebras, rhino's, polar bears, a carousel, a pond with rentable paddle boats and much more (we only spent about 45 minutes running frantically around trying to see everything before we had to leave to make sure John got to the airport on time!) We have decided we must go back and highly recommend it to anyone who happens to be in Chicago. Although you may want to research parking lots. The Zoo parking was free for 30 minutes and $14.00 after that (we didn't pay that of course, not when my dear husband was willing to go and move the car after 25 minutes!) All in all it was a fun trip to the big city, although next time we will make sure not to be driving during rush hour!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I love Chicago! Do you know that is where Oprah is? So plan your next visit around when you can get tickets :)
They also have awesome art museums there! I totally agree that their pizza is delicious, and how fun to see John. When you get to see family when you live far away, the week is always sweeter and brighter.

Cathie said...

I had a lot of catching up to do on your blog! Cute, cute, cute. Emi pointed to the picture of Sophie and asked, "Hey, is that me eating that pizza with jelly on it mom?" She is confused in so many ways! I did tear up in memory of Cory and want you to know that I still think of him too...I love you Lex and I am glad you are enjoying Michigan!