Friday, September 18, 2009

A new tradition

Today is a day I do not look forward to each year. Many of you know my dad died 11 years ago on this day. Each year my stomach slowly knots up the weeks prior to this day as I dread it's coming, but time truly is the key to healing - next to our Savior and the Gospel of course. Since I've started this blog I've posted THIS and THIS. Today I am starting a new tradition. Every year instead of posting on the sadness of his death I am going to post some memories of my dad so that I can have them written down and recorded, and so someday my kids can read them and come to know the incredible man that he was.

(He was a rather silly incredible man.... and this is the only picture I could find on my computer that I hadn't posted before! I wonder why?)

A memory:

When I was young - 4ish? - we lived in a house we called "The Brown House". It was an old two story house that my mom loved. It was right across the street from the High School my dad taught Art and coached Football & Track at. A house that I remember doing pre-school in, watching our cat climb up my mom's back in the kitchen as she cooked, and where my sister and I shared a bedroom where I specifically remember her teaching me one night how to say my prayers "in my head" so I wouldn't bother her by talking out loud. This house had a little window on the second floor - I think it was in my brother's room - and since my dad was the track coach we conveniently had some of the "port-a-pits" sitting on our front lawn for a time - I don't know if that is the correct name for the big blue mats the high jumpers & pole vaulter's use, but that was what we called them. Anyway, I remember climbing out that little window onto the ledge of the house and jumping to the porta-pits below, all with my dad's encouragement of course.
My mother probably wasn't at home.

AND

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DEAR GRANDMA JOHNSON!!
My kids and I got to stay with my grandma one night while we were visiting this summer. It was so wonderful to be with her! She is such a sweet lady, we love her so much. Staying with her brought back so many memories of being in her home with my grandpa and all my cousins all sleeping on the floor at their house in Utah. Such great memories. I love you Grandma!


10 comments:

Sun said...

This is such a beautiful way to mark the anniversary.
I remember when it happened and I had no idea what to say to you so I didn't say anything at all. I've always regretted that.

Marie Lefler said...

I have to say that from all the pictures you have posted of your Dad over the years, that one is now my favorite! What a funny guy. You were lucky to have him.

Jill said...

Hahaha! Oh, Lexie, what a funny memory. I love that your dad encouraged you guys to do fun and crazy stuff. I was always too scared to try and missed out on a lot. (I remember when your family lived in that house. I loved it too.)

John and Penny said...

I know the feeling all too well! Thanks for sharing your feelings today. It is a bittersweet day isn't it? I woke this morning thinking I am fine today! I will make it through, but then it all comes to my mind and my heart begins all over again to break into pieces. Thank you for being such a wonderful daughter and so caring. I love this picture of your CRAZY dad. This was the trip we were all sleeping on top of the house boat and daddy got in the water and was pushing a big dead tree toward the boat saying "Betty Lou, Betty Lou" in a deep scary voice. Of course grandma was a wreck! Your daddy always made us laugh. I miss that man. Love you baby girl.

John and Penny said...

Lexie you are amazing!

I love you,

John

Johnson said...

I love that picture of your dad! He sure was funny, and an amazing person. Love ya lots!

Emily said...

Beautiful Post Lexie, and a great way to remember your father. When I hear stories about him, I can see how his life and spirit has touched your life. I consider you to be an amazing individual who is not afraid to try something new.
Thanks for sharing today.

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

What a neat and special post. It sounds like your dad was and is a wonderful man. I love the picture. made my day!

emily said...

Dad was truly crazy, wasn't he? What a hilarious picture! We miss his stinkin guts! It was so fun to see you guys this summer and I hope one day soon, real soon. We will all be together! And what nice sister I was to teach you to say your prayers in your head! I also remember making you get up and close the closet doors! Thanks sis!

Cort, Amanda, Jack, and Hank said...

I have a lot of memories of all the above also. What a fun guy- definetely never a dull moment. My favorite is in Denver when we all went to Phantom and then to the ice cream shop- hilarious! I also loved the "green machine" and hookey bobbing!