Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cave of the Mounds

Nora has been wanting to go to the Cave of the Mounds since last summer when her friend went and brought her back a rock and told her all about it. It's kind of pricey for a family of 6 so we told her we'd go for her birthday this year. Well, we were in Utah this summer but of course she didn't forget that we had said we'd go for her birthday. Through our library summer reading program all the kids got a free pass so we finally went last week. It was only about 30 minutes away and a pretty fun place. They had a "fossil dig" where the kids could dig for jewels, bones and fossils. Of course they were all for sale, but the digging was free. They loved it. And our kids are learning to be like their parents, they thought the prices for the rocks were outrageous (which they were...) and were happy to dig up the rocks and then put them back, which made Brian and I so proud. :) 
The cave tour was about an hour long and Wesley was.... less than delightful. About 5 minutes in to it Brian and I knew it was going to be rough. But since we'd paid we decided to stick it out. He didn't seem scared or anything, I think it was more that we were walking slowly, not touching things and supposedly listening to the tour guide - all hard things for a three year old!
Luckily the older 3 kiddos had a great time. They all love rocks and thought this amazing cave was pretty cool and they loved learning about the formations.
Brian trying to keep Wesley happy.
Grumpy Boy.
Nora brought her money she'd been saving especially for this trip and bought a bag of sand and rocks to "mine". She loved every second of it.
One happy girl!
Me and my girls.
Daddy and Miles (Wesley wouldn't be in it...)
Such a pretty day!
Wesley by the mining area.
He was adorable after we got out of the cave and he could be crazy again!
It was a fun day together as a family. And since it was so close we still got a lot done on that Saturday. Hooray!

2 comments:

nauniesunflower@yahoo.com said...

I am so glad you finally got to go there! I am sure Nora was a happy camper! Such cute pic of the kids. Keep having fun and posting pictures!

Anonymous said...

This is a good picture of Nora I display life size. I think Miles is prettier and better looking, but I display Nora because she looks kinda good as well, and because she appears to be right there in front of me when I walk up to her and looks as though I can touch her if I want. The displays are warm and silky smooth so if I touch them it seems like they come to life and that is really cool, and having them in the privacy of my home is just awesome.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiTbTL0VmfK-wsFq0D3ghzaq5728MMQ2uQWP9W3VIReGZ3S-D-CFZrh0F12DWpGYs4k7wftJ_JIhNGJkrMqlY4wga7p9-w38BfSeYlWjWcFoPpeCWa91BBRnbD57aWxpQy-BHh4msADOHI/s0/DSC_0118.JPG